Thursday, April 2, 2009

What Got Me Here?

I must say a lot of inspiration got me here, now the perspiration begins. I am lucky to be surrounded by a bunch of motivated friends and family who have rubbed me the right way. I have been thinking about an MBA ever since I joined my engineering college in the summer of '96 (read '69 in reverse) but the reasons have been constantly changing. My motivation back then was drawn from my childhood, when my father planted this germ of an idea that I had a great knack for people. MBA was then the tool to sharpen that skill. The thought was too lame to stick or to jump on that bandwagon, though, I must admit that, occasionally, I was indeed lured by the job prospects.

A lot of water has flown since then. Now, I am in for an experience. The bad job market would make the experience more intriguing and interesting as I am hopeful of greater minds engaged in crazier ideas. All said and done, my peers will be the most important ingredient of my learning experience; the wilder the ideas, the more exciting and adventurous the experience. As one of my battle-scarred friend suggested, "do learn to apply the tools the school teaches you, but the true experience would be from building your own philosophy".

My variation on what Edison quoted on being a genius; "success is ninety nine percent perspiration and one percent inspiration", I see a challenging road ahead with a bulk of work waiting after having accomplished the one-percent success!

A quote that forever resonates in my head, from Robert Frost, "And miles to go before I sleep...". This poem somehow always comes to life from the pages of my sixth grade English course book, and has always inspired to bring out that adventurer in me.

Let me mention my current dreams and ambitions in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment